Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Back in my State of Mind

Yesterday we Mandi and I jumped on a plane to come from our 28 day in Sweden. It was such a long day, because the night before I went to bed around 1 and got up around 5:40 last I remember. From there we got into the van a drove to the airport, in between Uppsala and Stockholm. From there we had to wait in line to check bags. Mandi bag (of course) was too heavy, so we had to stick some of her stuff in my bag. I can only think of what they thought if they searched it...

From there we had to go through a field of metal detectors and quickly getting your items back on you. The whole time I was thinking about my friends there in Sweden and how they loved the song Plane from Jason Mraz. Making my heart heavy as I walk to the gate where our plane will leave the ground. With my backpack over my back and my guitar in my right hand, we walk by so many different people and shops. At the gate as Mandi and I sit somewhat quiet, silent but aware we are leaving Sweden, friends, and loved ones.

Finally our row is called and we board the plane, with my guitar safely in hand. I start to worry they will take it from my caring nature. To my surprise they didn't I got it in a over head and there was plenty of room for everyones stuff too! Mandi takes her seat by the window and I sit in the middle and a nice lady sits on the other side. I thought it wouldn't be such a bad flight. As the sun is starting to really shine now through the window, I start to fall asleep before take off. My headphones already pumping some jams into my head, my eyes grow heavy.

3, 2, 1, lift off! The engines sound like one huge wave crashing on the shore. We take off and we are in the air. As Mandi sits quiet in deep thought, I start to do the same thing. 28 days start to take it's toll when you leave. After about 4 hours, I have done just about everything, from listen to music, playing with my fingers, eating candy, asking for drinks, standing in the bathroom, and watching Sherlock Holms. I felt the need to write. So I asked Mandi for a pen and a piece of paper, she got it out and handed to me with a slightly confused face. I don't hand write a lot, I just wait till I find a computer. But this time, I wasn't so I wrote a letter to someone. At first I didn't know what to write, so I wrote what I was thinking and felt. I wrote up the page front and back, to my surprise, I had a ton to say because I could have kept going. My fingers starting to hurt and the lady kept hitting my arm while I was writing. It's bad enough I write like I'm 4 but now I look like I'm stupid now.

After that we landed in the misty overcast city of Newark. Finally I can stretch, eat, walk around, relax, you know, airport things. Customs was easy and we had to move our bags again. Jumped on the airtrain and zipped to the airplane, where we would have to end up waiting 2 hours. Finally getting on the plane after an extra delay of 30min, the smaller plane was between cozy and uncomfortable. We had to fly 2 hours down the coast. From the sky I felt the urge to write again, although, that was Mandi's last piece, I decided to write on the back. The clouds demanded it, they were amazing.

Finally at the airport we walk out to my parents, who are dying to see Mandi and I, big whole hugs all around. But on an empty stomach, I was very hungry so we went out to eat. Mandi and I decided on chili's to get some almost all American food. I got the ribs, thats American if you ask me. I drank from my glass the size of my head. Answering questions from my parents. From there we had a 3 hour drive home to drop off Mandi.

I look back on my new memories and wonder what will happen next in my life now that this amazing chapter of life and it's adventure has ended. I know I'll see my Swede's again, I don't when, but I know I will.
Till the next time, I am here, at home; living and loving.
~Paul

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I didn't want to stop hugging the two of you!!!

    Love,
    one of the parents known as Momma :)

    ReplyDelete